Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Update on the Lobster Situation

On the way to school today I heard a story on the radio about how bad the lobster season was. Guess what was one of the main reasons for the "disaster"? Foreign imports. I'm of two minds about this. My knee jerk reaction was to say, this is why you should buy nearby and support the small, local economies and protect jobs in your area. But then I wondered if that would lead to overfishing and depletion of the species. That would be a really bad thing, however it would not be as bad if the lobsters from Florida were kept in Florida and not shipped to millions of people all over the world. I don't really know what to think here. This local eating thing is complicated and I'm learning and discovering as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment