Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Closed Until Fruit Ripens - Not Really!

When my family first moved to Florida in 1989, one of my favorite places to visit was Mack's Groves, which has now (sadly) been closed for a couple of years. There were two locations in Pompano on Federal Highway and Lauderdale by the Sea on A1A. I loved going there for oranges, Florida themed kitsch and coconut patties. Every summer though, they would close. The sign out front always read "Closed Until Fruit Ripens." They'd be back in business around Thanksgiving when the citrus fruits came back in season. I always looked forward to the day they reopened. Unfortunately, now they're gone for good.

Local food posts have been pretty scarce for me. I struggled to find things to write about and of course I totally cheated by going up North and raiding several farmstands on the Delmarva Peninsula. I couldn't help it. Local eating in Florida in the summer is little more than fish, coconuts, a few tropical fruits and I mean a very few and maybe some corn and hot peppers if you're lucky enough to find them in the expensive Whole Foods produce section. In other words - Summer is our Winter.

Even Robert is Here, the Homestead farmstand institution, is closed right now. There aren't even any mangoes left, but that's ok. I pretty much gorged myself on mangoes while they were in season and got sick of them. I couldn't believe it myself, but it's true. I actually got sick of mangoes. Give me a few months and I'll be craving them again, I'm sure.

But as we wait for the fruit to ripen again, and all the farmer's markets to return in October, which isn't really so long off at all, I'll still manage to find some local delicacies for you. I'm convinced that they're out there.

After all, the Florida avocadoes are in season now. That has to count for something.

3 comments:

  1. There's plenty of stuff in-season in August. I'm e-mailing you the latest al a carte offering from the CSA I belong to. I'm looking forward to trying the ceriman particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't wait to check my email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avocadoes are in perfect time for football season!

    ReplyDelete