Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm Gonna Kiss Your...PINEAPPLE!!


Look at my pineapples and my pedicure. Both are doing very well. I got this idea to plant some pineapples because several of my friends were doing it with some success. I wanted to be cool like my friends and you can't be cool if you don't grow your own pineapples. Of course, I'm kidding. A couple months ago, apparently Walmart of all places had some kind of wild pineapple sale going on and my husband purchased several. They were from Hawaii, but did you know that pineapples originated in Brazil and that they are actually a species of bromeliad? They also grow very nicely here, as our climate is pretty similar to parts of Brazil. With many pineapples on hand, I decided to plant two. All you do is cut of the top, leaving about an inch or two of fruit attached to the greenery. Then you put it in dirt and water it and say nice things to it. Pretty soon it will take root. You can do this in the ground or in a pot. I don't have much ground, so I used a pot at my parents' house. At first one of my pineapples looked like it was about to die. I don't know what happened to it, but it eventually came around. The other one took off like a fighter jet from an aircraft carrier. The thing is huge. You can clearly see the difference in the sizes of each in the picture. There is also a weed squatting in their pot. This weekend my project is to get another pot, so each pineapple can have his (or her?) own home. I'm hoping in a couple years or less I can harvest and eat my own fruit. I need to read up on it more. My friend has six pineapple plants but she says the fruit never gets big and ripe, so I need to figure out how to avoid this.

I have elaborate pineapple fantasies. I really love it, in spite of the fact that if I eat too much of it, it makes my mouth sting. I have wonderful pineapple memories. When I was about five, I visited Florida for the first time on a road trip with my grandparents. We went to Disney and one night we went to the nightly luau at the Polynesian Village, where I had my first, virgin pina colada, garnished with a huge, spiked pineapple wedge. I was in love. All I wanted was pineapple juice after that, but when we got home to Delaware I remember being disappointed by the thin, acidic, tinny flavor of the pineapple juice that comes in the big blue cans. That was all we could get back then in the 70s.

Then, in late summer of 2002, my nearly thirty years of pineapple dreams finally came true when I spent three weeks on the island of Maui - pineapple paradise. There were fields and fields of pineapples, just rolling toward the rocky seashores, thriving in the fertile, ashen soil in the shade of Haleakala volcano. The air smelled like candy and girly cocktails and oh, the taste. The taste of those Hawaiian pineapples, plucked fresh from the fields. There are no words. You think you know pineapple. You don't know pineapple until you've eaten one that's been freshly picked. It's a wonder I managed to get on the plane back home. I could have easily stayed on Maui, gotten lei-ed every day, wearing nothing but bikini tops, grass skirts and wreaths of freesia. I could have lived on that pineapple. It was these memories that make me so enthusiastic about trying to grow my own.

I'm not the first person with such dreams. Many years ago, a Japanese farmer named George Morikami tried to start a pineapple plantation up near Delray Beach. His pineapples never quite took off and now the land which once made up his farm, is one of the most beautiful places in South Florida - The Morikami Museum.

Hopefully my pineapples will fare better than Mr. Morikami's.

Here is a detailed and easy to understand site that explains all about growing your own pineapples with several pictures and even a video.

1 comment:

  1. hi. welcome to the blogosphere. Pineapples are so easy to grow. I do it from time to time. It's fun seeing it grow but the waiting period can take a while.

    ReplyDelete