Thursday, September 10, 2009

Longans for the Teacher

Last week it was Star Fruit and this week it was Longans for the teacher! I was lucky enough to be gifted with a few clusters of this unusual tropical fruit at school yesterday by one of the security guards whose friend has a longan tree in her yard. Apparently the tree has been predictably prolific this year and the friend has more of these hard-shelled little fruits than she knows what to do with. This isn't the first time I've mentioned longans. I tried some last spring at Robert is Here, but for some reason I liked them better the second time around. After doing a little research on the longan I learned that they are in season right now! Maybe the one I tried last spring wasn't really local and that's why it didn't taste as good? The sign said it was local. Maybe they were grown in a hothouse or something? I don't know. What I do know is that in South Florida, the relatively short longan harvesting season is late August to mid-September. Now! Since a mature makes more fruits than one might care to eat, it's good to know that they can be frozen whole in plastic bags to enjoy at a later time. I think it would be fun to have a longan tree. I'll put one in my ever-growing future dream orchard.

Go HERE for everything you ever wanted to know about longans including how to grow them in our area.

No comments:

Post a Comment