Thursday, October 29, 2009

Florida Sel - The Conclusion

Finally, once you've cleaned your kitchen, pour the remaining cloudy, explosive water into a glass bowl and let it sit beside your kitchen sink for a good two weeks until it finally evaporates, leaving a fine, glittering film of what has to be salt (or sewage crystals?). Glance at it with disdain each day as you wash dishes and finally, when it looks dry, use a spoon to scrape it out of the bowl and into a suitable container. For a gallon of seawater, a suitable sized container for holding your homemade, self-harvested sea salt would be a thimble. I only exaggerate slightly, folks. I measured it and I only got a tablespoon of salt from the gallon of water, which really doesn't seem all that efficient or cost effective at all. Or practical. So now I have this tablespoon of real Florida sea salt and I'm scared to even eat it because of the sewage, e coli, cruise ship fuel, industrial waste and all that mercury that somehow gets into fish. Also, I still haven't gotten all the salt crud off my stove top. Maybe I just need to move to the Puget Sound. Nah, I'd miss the mangoes.

5 comments:

  1. This was hilarious! Kudos to you for even attempting to make salt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the woes of sea salt manufacturing. Nice post! I would side with your friend in that I would be scared to have a lab test that salt haha. Maybe you would have to change the name to Flor doody Sel? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that same idea and I definitely want to applaud you for actually following through on it no matter how it turned out. But you know this isn't how fleur de sel is harvested, right? Your best result would have been a slightly-funky grey salt sludge. I think, after all that boiling, that your salt is probably safe to use. Have you tried any to see how it tastes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and entertaining post - or, rather, series of posts! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm still laughing! lol.
    Esther (Barry)

    PS You're wondering, now, aren't you, about my "wonderful and entertaining" comment, aren't you? Your kitchen practically blows up and I'm being entertained. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an experience! LOL! I wonder why it became explosive (better not inquire too closely - you might find out what's really in that salt water near shore.....) But hey, if you want true "Florida Sel", just go to your nearest mangrove jungle along the shoreline and scrape the salt off the leaves of the black and/or white mangroves (the red mangroves exclude the salt from their systems - the other kinds pass it through and excrete it out glands on or near the leaves). It'll take you awhile, but you just MIGHT come home with a quarter teaspoon of salt after a good day's work... ;-) and it should be fairly well purified....

    ReplyDelete