Thursday, October 15, 2009

Stone Crab Season 2009!

It's finally here and you know you've been waiting for it since May! Stone Crab Season begins today! I happen to love the mild, sweet taste of stone crabs. I think they taste fresh and light like the sea and many people I know are completely addicted to them in spite of their often exorbitant cost. Last year was a bad year for the stone crab industry so they were cheaper, but this year promises to be better for the crabbers, so I'm guessing the prices will continue to rise. You can read more about the subject in this article. The Miami New Times Short Order food blog also has an excellent and informative post which will tell you everything you always wanted to know about the crustaceans. Stone crabs are probably the most loved and best known Florida food so they're pretty easy to find in fish markets and restaurants. I usually purchase mine at the Fish Peddler East in Fort Lauderdale because the restaurants are so expensive. The Sun-Sentinel's Thursday food section also has an interesting article about the stone crabs at Trulucks.I was surprised to learn that the restaurant has its own fleet of crabbers over on the west coast. They'll start serving them tomorrow and according to the article Trulucks is running an All You Can Eat Stone Crab Special for $49.00 every Monday. I've never been to Trulucks, but a new location just opened up in the Fort Lauderdale Galleria, so I may have to give them a try soon. Also today, the venerable institution that started it all, Joe's Stone Crab, opens up for a new season.

A couple years ago I wrote a much longer, humorous essay all about Stone Crabs which was published in the book Hungry? Thirsty? Miami. I think the editor did a fantastic job on the book and I highly recommend it, and not just because I want you to read my Stone Crab essay.

If anyone has any suggestions about where to find the best, most reasonably priced Stone Crabs please let me know in the comments section.

Happy Cracking!

2 comments: