Tuesday, December 15, 2009

CSA This Week

I have been ridiculously busy this week. It's a combination of finals week at two schools, plus general holiday madness. I did want to update you on what I've been doing with my CSA delivery from last Saturday. This was a lucky week. When I opened my box I literally went "OOOHHH!" in delight. I got more of my favorite green beans, an eggplant, basil, cherry tomatoes, a cucumber, a pepper, chard and some betel leaf. Everything that I love and one weird thing. Perfect.

First I made a stir fry and included last week's bok choy and the pepper.

Yesterday I made eggplant parmesan, using the eggplant and basil and some leftover, wilted tomatoes I had from before. One eggplant made a large pan and it wasn't even a bit acidic or bitter. I did salt and rinse the slices beforehand though, so maybe that helped, or maybe these were just really good eggplants. I now have so much eggplant parm that I'm giving it away and last night, as I breaded and fried individual discs of eggplant, I realized exactly why I haven't made eggplant parm in seven years. It makes a mess in the kitchen and takes forever.

Once the eggplant was finished baking, I steamed the green beans. I find that steamed green beans are a lighter and healthier accompaniment than pasta and go well with anything tomato-y. Now I have a big container of leftovers to snack on all week when I don't have time to cook.

I love to eat steamed green beans cold. When I was little, I had a friend whose mom made them for us as a snack with curry dip and my friend and I would just eat bunches and bunches of cold green beans because we loved the dip so much. I still make the dip as an adult and plan to make some for myself tonight. It's very simple and you really don't need to measure. Just mix plain, greek yogurt with curry powder to taste, a little grated ginger, a squirt of honey or agave, a little zing of lemon juice and if you want it spicy, you can add some hot sauce. It would also be good with minced garlic, a little sesame oil or even some chutney stirred in. Then just dip cold, steamed green beans (or any veggie you like) in it 'til your heart's content.

This evening, I think I'll sautee my chard in my simple, go-to greens recipe (olive oil, salt, garlic and red peppers). I could eat chard endlessly. I guarantee you, I will eat the entire bunch alone in one sitting. I may make some brown rice to go with it. After last night's breaded, fried extravaganza, I think I need to detox.

No comments:

Post a Comment