Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas Eve


I've been sick and busy getting ready for Christmas this week, so it hasn't been a good week for writing about local food.

When I get sick I don't like to eat or think about food, but I get really thirsty. Luckily we had a gigantic grapefruit in our CSA box last week, so I got some much needed, Vitamin C packed juice from it.

As this is cold and flu season, I feel very lucky to live in Florida, where all the citrus is in season. I can't get enough of it and it's really making me feel better. This year, for the first time that I've seen, local Cara Cara oranges are in all the stores. Cara Caras are a mutant variety of navel oranges from Venezuela and they are pink! We've already been through how much I love pink food, so I won't gush about the color too much. Cara Caras are not to be mistaken for blood oranges though. They're quite different. Blood oranges are wine colored with an almost bitter flavor, whereas Cara Caras are light pink inside like a grapefruit, with the usual orange rind outside. They taste orangey with a hint of rose petal. I love them. They make a pretty pink juice.

The other thing I like to eat when I'm sick like this is Thai coconut soup. It contains chicken, coconut milk, lemongrass, ginger, cilantro and hot peppers. When I eat it, my sinuses clear and I feel instantly better. Of course, it's easy to make and all the ingredients grow in our climate. However, when I'm sick the last thing I want to do is scout ingredients or cook, so I cheat and get takeout. There are also a few mixes that you can buy at the grocery store.

Once Christmas is done and I'm feeling better, I'll be back with a more extensive post on the Cara Caras.

No comments:

Post a Comment