Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sunflowers

There is nothing prettier than sunflowers against a blue sky. My sister, who now lives next door to me, planted these against our shared fence (they're on her side technically, but I'm enjoying them just the same). She planted them from seeds and they grew to be this tall in six weeks. We're allowing the seeds to ripen and dry and then we plan on roasting and eating them. Sunflower seeds are delicious and very healthy. They are very high in linoleic acid and Vitamin E. Wikipedia has a thorough sunflower seed entry that I found interesting (partly because who one earth would feel so passionately about sunflower seeds that they'd want to write a wiki on them?). Ours are the striped variety that I've always enjoyed eating. The birds and squirrels like them as much as I do, so hopefully they'll leave us some.

No comments:

Post a Comment